HR Managers, Help!! I have this book called "What Color is Your Parachute"?

Discussion in 'IP Communications' started by weirdiscomplimentary, Aug 5, 2010.

1. weirdiscomplimentary Junior Member

weirdiscomplimentary

So I have the book "What color is your parachute?" by Richard Bolles. I have the 2010 version, but in it, he advocates for some things that seem really old-fashioned. Like, he says that resumes are a last resort and that you should only write one as something to "leave behind at the interview." While I know that it is important to do a lot of networking and try to get interviews before jobs are even posted, I also know that I have never been able to find out about jobs this way. Every interview and job I have ever gotten has been by responding to a posting on an employer's website -- a posting that requested a cover letter and resume.

Another thing that is strange is that he barely mentions cover letters and, when he does, he refers to them as an "alternative" to a classic resume. I have never applied for a position without a cover letter and have always thought of them as being a mandatory item that goes along with (in fact, *covers*) the resume. I find it frustrating that he gives no advice whatsoever on this part of the application that, by all accounts, is very important, but that he considers to be an "alternative to a resume."

The one resume that he puts in the book that he highlights as being a good example that would get someone a job is one that he says he likes but that hiring managers always tell him they would never take a second look at.... It is outdated (the applicant graduated college in the 1950s and all the work experience is from the 1970s and 1980s) and is, in my opinion, rather sexist (the writer says that he speaks the language of "men, machinery, and management") and would be off-putting to a hiring manager nowadays.

He also advocates for knocking on the door of potential employers -- most employers that I know would shoo away people who come knocking on their doors looking for a job. My husband works in the front area of an office and does all the hiring and he says that he would be very offended by someone just showing up at his office.

So, my question is, is this book useful? I feel that all of it goes against my gut instincts. Maybe it's just the career field that I am in where these things are less common. Have any hiring managers read this book? Do you recommend the advice that is in it?